Friday, April 9, 2010

My Story - The Quick Version

I've wanted to make my living in motion pictures since the time I was in junior high school. When the film tax credits came along it appeared that I had a chance of doing that and doing it right here in Iowa. I cautiously felt my way into it and ended up with a peripheral job on the movie "Splatter" shooting documentary footage of the location shoots. I was ready to investigate other opportunities, perhaps even have something more directly to do with the quality and success of a movie when our Governor, the "great" Chester Culver, the "Big Lug" himself, Culverized the film business in Iowa by imposing a freeze on the film tax credit program. Since then this state has turned into a ghost town as far as feature film production is concerned and because of how this was handled it is going to be a long time before producers consider coming back here. I've never wanted to make my living working the typical "straight jobs" that Iowa offers so I've been trying to come up with my own income producing opportunity that does not depend on an employer. Film is still a ways off for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment