Saturday, April 10, 2010

Article by D M Register Reporter, Jason Clayworth

Gov. Chet Culver is the nation's most endangered incumbent governor, according to MSNBC's "First Read."

The analysis lists Iowa as ninth on a list of possible gubernatorial takeovers in November. In the states ranking higher, no incumbent is running.

Here's what the site said about Iowa:

"Chet Culver (D) remains the most endangered incumbent governor this cycle. And he's hoping the GOP primary wounds top challenger Terry Branstad (R)."

Like other incumbents, Culver is battling dissatisfaction over the economic downturn and state budget cuts.


Culver was asked Friday about the listing. Here's what he said:

"I think that Iowans love underdogs. Just look at UNI and what happened there. They upset Kansas. The race hasn't even started. I am looking forward to getting out there and telling our story. Talking about my vision for the future for this great state. Talking about our record of accomplishment when it comes to veterans services, health care for kids, teacher pay increase. We have a really strong record that I will run on, but I will also talk about how we are going to continue to make Iowa the best state in the nation to live, and to work, and to do business, and I look forward to that opportunity."

In an Iowa Poll in February, Culver's job approval had dipped to 36 percent, down from 60 percent in January 2009. And in the poll's hypothetical matchups with potential GOP governor candidates, Culver trailed both former Gov. Terry Branstad and Sioux City business consultant Bob Vander Plaats.

- Jason Clayworth

1 comment:

  1. As an Iowan I do love Underdog - the cartoon from 1960's TV. But that doesn't mean I like Culver. There's many very good reasons why he is an underdog in the Governor's race and one very critical one for us is that he mindlessly froze the film tax credit program without making any effort to fix it. That was just plain laziness. "It's too hard. I don't understand it so let's just freeze it forever until my tiny little mind can figure out what to do." was his reaction to what happened with the program. No thought at all about showing some real leadership and doing what was needed to turn things around. The result? Iowa is now a film ghost town - an arid desert as far as making feature motion pictures is concerned. Vote for him? Not on your life nor do I think any of his Republican challengers are worth considering. I'll vote alright. I'll do a write-in for former Film Office chief Tom Wheeler. At least we know he's FOR film in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete