Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Poised In The Shade For Battle



Jay Villwock and I are poised in the starting blocks, rarin' to go, anxious to get the film program back, but until Iowa Senator Bill Dotzler, Jr. forms his study group comprised of folks from the movie family in Iowa, there's not much we can do.

Jay and I, as well as our friends, Dave Thrasher, John and Kim Busbee, plus fellow actors Neil Wells and John Bush, know that the present film bill in place with a three year suspension will be replaced by a new bill with no suspension at all, but only if Senator Dotzler comes through for us.

I get a sinking feeling when I drive by Hoyt Sherman Place, where I got to play a butler in "Janie Jones", or when I pass other locations of movies shot here in Iowa.

Today I passed a huge building that nearly became a sound studio for a major film production company. That complex is empty, and several other such buildings that were slated to become sound studios around the state are empty as well.

We in the Iowa movie family need to stay vigilant and we need to become actively involved in the next Iowa legislative session when it reconvenes next January. Prepare now. Write to members of the Iowa legislature. Their email contact info is avaiable on the web.

gene l. hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment